I just finished up a theme I have been working on a for a little while. It’s a 4-column theme called News Time. You can see it in action at Balanced News Blog or on The English Guy. It has 3 main columns where the posts get put and a sidebar to the right for search, last posts, archives, advertising and so on.
What’s a little different about it is that you can change how it’s laid out by changing just one variable in index.php. It can be laid out:-
- with posts going from left to right then repeating layer by layer,
- by category (three categories are needed at least),
- by equal number in each column filling left then middle then right in that order.
News Time 1.1 is now out – what is different? There are some updates that I have chronicled in the CHANGELOG.txt that comes with the release, but here they are:
- comments are now clearer and more separated; comments appear in their own box, mouseover effect (in mozilla browsers)
- sidebar now shows categories
- featured post on the front page, shows the latest post in that category
- search is fully implemented with a search results page (search.php) and the search box in the sidebar
- added page.php so it handles pages just like singles
See this theme in action on The English Guy.
First, this theme requires WordPress 1.5+ Once you have downloaded the theme, unzip it and:
- Upload the unzipped theme to your
- Enter your Admin panel -> Presentation and select the theme.
Frequently Asked Questions
None so far! It is a simple unzip, install and off you go. You can edit the theme as you wish (it IS commented a little bit). If you have any questions, you can comment here, or you can go over to the WordPress Forums where I started a News Time Theme thread.
Except where otherwise noted, this software is:
- Copyright Richard Dows
- Licensed under the terms of the CC/GNU GPL
- Provided as is, with NO WARRANTY whatsoever
In a nutshell, the GPL means that:
- You may freely use the works for any purpose, including commercial ones
- You may freely make derivative works provided that you leave the proper attribution and copyright notices; this includes the copyright notice in the footer.php with appropriate link back
- You may freely distribute the works and derivative works provided that you make the source code readily available under the same terms
There is a README.txt file included with the release which you should read so you know how to set it up.
If you like this theme, or others, please consider making a donation.